Monday, November 8, 2010

Charles Stewart Parnell: 1846-1891: "the uncrowned king of Ireland"

On a large green space stands this massive stone marking the grave of Charles Stewart Parnell. Popularly known as "the uncrowned king of Ireland", Parnell was an Irish Anglican landowner, nationalist political leader, land reform agitator, and the founder and leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party. He is considered to be one of the most important figures in 19th century Ireland.

Parnell was a contemporary of Andrew J. Kettle who famously became Parnell's "right hand man" and who claims credit for Parnell's election as leader of the Land League in 1879. In his memoirs Kettle says of Parnell, "When I came near the town I heard people shouting for Parnell, and when I came into the town I could hear nothing but Parnell, and when I reached the meeting place the people were wild about Parnell...I thought the best thing I could do was to say nothing about Duffy, so I proposed Parnell myself".

Parnell was a beloved figure, still is in many quarters, because of the work he did for the Irish people. When he died at the age of 45 it is estimated that over 200,000 people attended his funeral.

Side view of the massive stone
(Part of the ) Monument to Parnell which stands at the top of O'Connell Street in Dublin
For a complete biography of Parnell visit: The Clare County Library site
*Click on photographs to view larger version.
All Photographs ©Copyright J.Geraghty-Gorman 2010.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...